Industry & Urban Development
ESIA & ESMP for the Barikab Agriculture Industrial Park Development Project, Afghanistan, 2020
Client: Ministry of Finance, funded by the World Bank
Project Description: The Barikab Agriculture Industrial Park (BAIP) forms part of the Government of Afghanistan’s Agribusiness Charter, which aims to promote agribusiness in the country. The World Bank is supporting the implementation of this Charter through the “Opportunity for Maximizing Agribusiness Investments and Development (OMAID) Project”. OMAID’s objective is to improve the agribusiness value-chain infrastructure and increase value addition in Afghanistan.
The BAIP spans over 405 hectares and construction on the first phase has already begun. Under this framework, EcoConServ will review the existing Environmental Impact Assessment and safeguard reports, conduct a comprehensive ESIA for the project, and prepare all relevant Environmental and Social Management Plans, including a RAP, if needed. All deliverables will comply with Afghanistan’s national laws as well as with the World Bank’s Safeguard Policies.
ESIA Study for Sadat Industrial Park, Egypt. 2019
Client: CPC – Egypt for Industrial Development Co.
Project Description: CPC-Egypt is planning to build an industrial park in Sadat City, facing the 6th industrial zone. An area of 1.1 million m2 has been allocated to this project by the Industrial Development Authority (IDA). The industrial park will be divided into: (1) A 660,000 m2 industrial zone in which 3 industries will take place: construction materials, food manufacturing and miscellaneous industries.; (2) 56,000 m2 of green areas; (3) 107,000 m2 Services zone; and (4) 277,000 m2 of internal roadways.
EcoConServ provided CPC-Egypt with an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the proposed Industrial park.
SODIC West Project Environmental Consultancy – ESIA & Equator Principles, Egypt. 2018
Client: Sixth of October for Development and Investment Company (SODIC), funded by the Arab African International Bank (AAIB)
Project Description: SODIC West project is a mixed-use residential and commercial project located in 6th of October City, extending over a gross land area of approximately 3.2 km².
EcoConServ was contracted to complete an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the SODIC West Project to comply with the national law as well as IFC Performance Standards, and EHS Guidelines. Moreover, the project’s compliance with the Equator Principles was assessed.
Preparation of Environmental and Hazardous Materials & Waste Register, Egypt. 2018
Client: National Paper Products (NPP)
Project Description: NPP seeks to enforce their factory’s and its expansion’s environmental compliance. EcoConServ was commissioned to develop the related Environmental Registers as well as the Hazardous Materials and Waste Registers. The Environmental Registers cover the establishment’s different activities and their impacts on the activities’ locations and neighboring areas and communities. Registers cover workplace environment, possible workers’ exposure to workplace contaminants, potential ground water contamination, air and noise exposures, and other environmental concerns. The Environmental Registers prepared also provide a general description of wastewater network, hazardous and non-hazardous waste rate generation, management and handling – among other items.
Equator Principles Document for Arkan Extension Project, Egypt. 2018
Clients: Al Badr for Investments and Commercial Spaces, Arab African International Bank (AAIB)
Project Description: The Arkan Extension is a planned commercial space extension adjoining the existing Arkan Plaza in Sheikh Zayed, west of Cairo. Similar to Arkan Plaza, the extension will include mixed-use commercial spaces, suitable for stores, restaurants and entertainment areas. In addition, the extension will also include a cinema theater, a medical building for clinics, a gym, a spa, and a hotel. The project site is located on the 26th of July corridor, which connects central Cairo to the cities of Sheikh Zayed and 6th of October. The project is located on a gross area of 80,585m², whereas the net area of the buildings is 49,56m².
As a signatory of the Equator Principles Agreement, AAIB must ensure, that all projects receiving loans, comply with the agreement’s ten principles. EcoConServ was contracted to prepare a report of the project’s assessment based on these principles, as well as recommendations to ensure future compliance.
ESIA for the Extension of Suzuki’s paint line, Egypt. 2017
Project Description: The project is a paint line extension of Suzuki’s factory in 6th of October City in the Industrial area. Suzuki contracted EcoConServ to undertake an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for this paint line extension, according to EEAA requirements.
The aim of the ESIA study was to assess the impacts of the different proposed design elements of the extension line, and to propose measures to enhance its environmental and social performance and finally to get permit from EEAA upon approval of the new ESIA.
“Bechtel’s Cairo Office Fit Out”, Egypt. 2017
Client: Jidaar Construction
Project Description: Bechtel is a global engineering, construction, and project management company. EcoConServ was contracted to perform a Hazardous Material and Waste Assessment report for Bechtel’s Cairo office in the 5th Settlement covering type and location of hazardous waste and materials, relevant control measures to prevent any negative environmental harms or liabilities, as well as the relevant environmental law.
Revision of EIA for Dynamic Company, Egypt. 2017
Client: Suez Canal Economic Zone
Project Description: EcoConServ was contracted to revise the EIA of one of the projects that were planned to be installed in the Suez Canal Economic Zone, specifically the EIA of an expansion of Dynamic Company, which intended to add additional activities (handling, storage, washing, and maintenance of containers).
ESIA for the Establishment of a Cement Mill (Grinding Station) in Palestine, Palestine. 2017
Client: SANAD Construction Resources
Project Description: SANAD Construction Industries proposed to set up a 1.3 million tons Cement Mill Plant (Grinding Station). The cement industry is considered of major importance to the development process, however, it has significant impacts on the environment.
Collaborating closely with the Universal Group for Engineering and Consulting Nablus, EcoConServ conducted a thorough Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) study, analysis of alternatives and an Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP). SANAD further requested verifications and investigation on two specific locations and delivery of detailed EIA reports about the two locations (Al Maaber and Al Neima).
ESIA for Wadi Degla Sporting Club – Sheraton Branch and District Mall, Egypt. 2017
Client: Wadi Degla Holding Company
Project Description: The Sheraton Branch of Wadi Degla Sporting Club is located in the District Mall, a project by Wadi Degla City. The existing facilities are the following: official soccer field, 8 tennis courts, pool complex, 7 squash courts, 4 multipurpose halls, restaurants and cafés, 2 event halls, gym and spa, documentation and administration offices, social and kids area, and a parking area.
EcoConServ was contracted to conduct an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) study for the various proposed design elements of the District Mall and the Wadi Degla Sporting Club – Sheraton Branch, and to propose measures to enhance its environmental and social performance and prepare an Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) including a mitigation and monitoring plan and training activities.
Strategic ESIA for the New Administrative Capital of Egypt, Egypt. 2016
Client: Egyptian Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
Project Description: The Government of Egypt planned to undertake the large-scale project of constructing a new administrative capital. The New Capital is located about 45km east of Cairo, about halfway to Suez. The area of 700km² is planned to provide housing for about 6 million people, in addition to main government departments, ministries, and foreign embassies.
EcoConServ has been contracted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development to conduct a Strategic Environmental Impact Assessment (SESA) for The New Administrative Capital of Egypt. SESA was carried out to obtain the Environmental Permit to the proposed facility from EEAA. The SESA aimed to ensure the project’s compliance with applicable environmental laws and legislations, to identify impacts on the environment, and to contribute to the development of environmental performance of establishments through guiding them in utilizing the technical and financial support mechanisms which address waste management and treatment, water efficiency and application of energy efficiency and environmental friendly methods to achieve sustainability in the new city.
Environmental Health and Safety Audit for Samaya Electronics (Methode), Egypt. 2016
Client: Ramboll-Environ UK
Project Description: Samaya Electronics conducts routine evaluations of its environmental compliance in continuing conformance with its ISO 14001 certification, which requires that the facility periodically evaluates compliance with the applicable legal environmental requirements. Ramboll Environ’s audit evaluates the facility’s compliance with the full range of federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations implicated by its operations.
EcoConServ was contracted to conduct an Environmental Health and Safety Audit, which covered, among others, the following issues: air emissions, risk management, waste management, national pollutant release inventories, and toxic and hazardous substances.
Strategic ESIA for Al Alamein New City, Egypt. 2016
Client: The Associated Consultants
Project Description: EcoConServ has been contracted by the Associated Consultants to conduct a Strategic Environmental Impact Assessment (SESA) for Al Alamein New City. The SESA aims to ensure the project’s compliance with applicable environmental laws and legislations, to identify the impacts on the physical and social environment, and to contribute to the development of the project’s environmental performance through guiding it in utilizing the technical and financial support mechanisms which address waste management and treatment, water efficiency, and application of energy efficiency and environmentally friendly methods to achieve sustainability in the new city.
Environmental Due Diligence for Porta and Rotopack, Egypt. 2016
Client: Ramboll-Environ UK
Project Description: EcoConServ was contracted to assist Ramboll Environ in the completion of Phase I Environmental Site Assessments and Limited Compliance Reviews of the two target sites in Cairo. EcoConServ supported Ramboll Environ during the visits and provided advice and guidance on Egyptian regulatory requirements as well as document review assistance.
Supporting Wardell Armstrong to assist Hassan Allam in upgrading their policies to comply with the IFC, Egypt. 2016
Client: Hassan Allam Holding (HAH)
Project Description: Hassan Allam Holding (HAH) company is one of Egypt’s oldest construction groups, founded in 1963. The group, through its subsidiary Hassan Allam Construction (HAC) is a leading contractor with focus on large scale complex turnkey projects such as power, water, wastewater treatment, roads and bridges, industrial, large-scale residential, commercial real estate and airports.
HAH was required to update its policies to comply with the IFC requirements to be able to take a loan.
EcoConServ supported HAH in assisting them in upgrading their policies to adopt and comply with IFC’s standards and reviewing the reports included in the Environmental and Social Review Summary (ESRS) and Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP).
Environmental and Social Appraisal of 3S Ready Mix, Egypt. 2016
Client: 3S Ready Mix, funded by Bank Audi
Project Description: The newly formed subsidiary of Hassan Allam Holding (HAH) company, 3S Ready Mix, started operations in January 2016, and has since then captured a sizeable percentage of the local market, securing numerous large and prestigious projects that reflect the technical and execution strengths that 3S Ready Mix are proud to possess.
3S Ready Mix is currently supplying concrete to major projects in the New Capital City Project in Cairo, major mixed use developments in Egypt’s North Coast (Alexandria/Matrouh) such as Emaar’s Marassi and Hassan Allam Property’s Swan Lake North Coast, and Industrial Projects such as the Government of Egypt’s Beni Sueif Cement Plants.
3S Ready Mix is an activity used in the construction industry to supply concrete through trucks that transfer the concrete from a batch plant located nearby the site.
EcoConServ prepared an Environmental and Social Appraisal to assess the 3S Ready Mix Activity’s compliance status against the applicable IFC Performance Standards including the national permitting requirements and developed an Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP).
Environmental and Social Due Diligence for a Producer in the F&B Industry, Egypt. 2016
Client: The Abraaj Group
Project Description: The proposed investment is in a leading instant coffee and instant drinks producer located in 10th of Ramadan City, Egypt. It offers instant black coffee, coffee mixes and other instant drinks (barley, tea, juice, etc.).
The Company’s main factory is located in 10th of Ramadan industrial city on the outskirts of Cairo. The factory is built on a 16,000m² plot, with another 35,000m² plot for the glass factory, and the Company recently purchased an 11,000m² plot for planned packaging facility expansions. Starting in 2013, the Company invested in a new spray-drying facility (located on the same factory grounds) growing production capacity to 10,200 tons through a new fully automated line. The new line became fully operational in April/May 2015.
The proposed investment has been categorized as medium using the Abraaj inherent risk rating; therefore, a consultant was required to conduct an environmental and social due diligence (ESDD) of the investment. EcoConServ was hired to complete this task.
Updating an EIA for Industrial Zone (2 Plots) in 10th of Ramadan, various Parks, El Sewedy, Egypt. 2016
Client: Pyramids Industrial Parks, Pyramids Zona Franca Egypt
Project Description: EcoConServ has been contracted to update the existing Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) study of Pyramids Industrial Parks, thereby updating the analysis of the impacts of the industrial zone’s project facilities in accordance with changes in the project design layout.
Further projects include:
- Technology and Policy Scoping for a Low Carbon Egyptian Cement Industry, South pole Carbon Asset Management Ltd, Egypt, 2015
- Study on Alternative Fuel Usage by the Cement Industry in Egypt, IFC, World Bank, Egypt, 2015
- Environmental Due Diligence Audit for Abu Qir Port, Alexandria, Egypt, ENVIRON, 2015
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessment in Sadat City Industrial Zone for Huhtamaki, Ramboll-Environ Finland, Egypt, 2015
- EIA for Re-Refining of Used Lubricating Oils Factory, Egypt Refining Company, 2015
- Revision and Update of the Equator Principles Compliance for Evergrow Agricultural Fertilizers Factory in Sadat City, Arab African International Bank (AAIB), Evergrow Company, Egypt, 2015
- Environmental, Health and Safety Audit for Guardian Glass, Ramboll-Environ USA for Guardian Glass, Egypt, 2015
- Phase I Environmental Due Diligence Site Assessment for Siemens Egypt Facility in Suez Industrial Development Company’s Industrial Park, Ain Sokhna, Egypt, Ramboll Environ Germany GmbH, 2015
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessment for Heinz Egypt at a Former Plating Facility at 6th of October City, ERM, Egypt, 2015
- Phase II Environmental Site Assessment in 6th of October City, General Motors Egypt, 2015
- Updating the Environmental Impact Assessment for the Modified Layout of Ethylene Complex Project, Egyptian Petrochemicals Holding Co. (ECHEM), Egypt, 2015
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for the Re-Development of Maadi City Center, Raafat Miller Consulting (RMC) / Majid Al Futtaim Properties Egypt (MAFP Egypt), 2014
- Environmental Due Diligence Evaluation of Eli Lilly facility in 6th of October, AECOM UK, Egypt, 2014
- Assessment of Compliance to the Equator Principles for the New Plant of Almoutaheda Paper and Board (UNIBOARD) in Sadat City, Egypt, 2014
- Environmental and Health & Safety Review for Mahmood Saeed Can Making Factory Cairo, Egypt, ENVIRON UK Ltd, Exeter, for Rexam BCAMEA United Arab Emirates, 2014
- Environmental Due Diligence Assessment in “Polaris Al Zamil Industrial Park” located in 6th of October , Egypt (Henkel Greenfield), ERM Germany, Egypt, 2014
- Environmental & Social Review of Hayat Operations in Turkey and Egypt, ERM London, 2014
- Environmental Due Diligence Assessment –KATO Investment facilities in 6th of October, ERM GmbH, Egypt, 2014
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the New National Cancer Institute, Hill International, Egypt, 2013
- Year-Round Monitoring and Follow-up on the Implementation of the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) for Cairo Festival City (CFC), Al-Futtaim Real Estate Development, 2013
- Updating the Status of Compliance to the Equator Principles for the National Paper Products Company, Egypt, 2013
- Scoped EIA and Environmental Due Diligence Report for Givaudan Egypt, 2013
- Environmental and Social Due Diligence at Universal for Metal Industries, ENVIRON, EBRD, Egypt, 2012
- Assessment of Service Provider’s Capabilities and Readiness to Transport Out-of-Gauge (OOG) Items Safely, ENVIRON UK/General Electric (GE), Egypt, 2012
- Environmental Impact Assessment for the proposed Butadiene Plant, Sidi Kerir Petrochemicals Company (SIDPEC), Egyptian Petrochemicals Holding Co. (ECHEM), 2012
- Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Global Compliance Audit for GIVAUDAN Egypt, ERM GmbH, 2012
- Report on the Environmental Impacts of the Jordanian Phosphate Mines Company (JPMC) Complex on Haql City, The Presidency of Meteorology and Environment (PME), Saudi Arabia, 2012
- Provision of Technical Assistance to Certify Compliance with the “Equator Principles” for the Egyptian Company for the Production of Ethylene and its Derivatives Project, Egyptian Petrochemicals Holding Company, 2012
- Environmental and Socioeconomic Impact Assessment for the New Industrial District for Leather Industries, Robbiki, Industrial Development Authority (IDA), Egypt, 2012
- Equator Principles Assessment for Arabian Cement Company (ACC), HSBC Bank, Egypt, 2011
- Environmental and Social Management Plan and Follow-up for Cairo Festival City (CFC), Al-Futtaim Real Estate Development, Egypt, 2011
- Equator Principles Assessment for an Extension of Hilton Plaza Hotel in Hurghada and a Shopping Mall at Gebel El-Harim, Arab Investors Company, Egypt, 2011
- Equator Principles Assessment for National Company for Fertilizers and Chemical Industry, Egypt Kuwait Holding SAE, 2011
- EIA of paper and polypropylene used as cement sacks in Egypt, National Paper Products Company, 2011
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the phosphate fertilizers factory – Kemet company for mining and fertilizers – Phase 1, Egypt, 2011
- Air Dispersion model Study for Aswan Fertilizers and Chemical Industries Company, Egypt, 2011
- Technical Assistance to Certify Compliance with the Equator Principles for the Arab National Cement Co. (ANCC), Egypt 2010
- Environmental Impact Assessment of El-Tajamoat Industrial Park, Egypt, 2010
- Environmental ,Health and Safety Assessment & Environmental Due Diligence Site Assessment of the Trane S.A.E. Site, ERM, Egypt, 2010
- Environmental Impact Assessment of El-Oula Industrial Park , Egypt, 2010
- EIA Assessment for National Paper Production Company’s new production facility, Egypt, 2010
- EIA for Ethylene Project, Egyptian Petrochemicals Holding Co., Egypt, 2010
- EIA for DI Methyl Ether Project, Egyptian Petrochemicals Holding Co. (ECHEM), Egypt, 2010
- Technical Assistance to Certify Compliance with the Equator Principles for a new production facility for National Paper Products Co., Egypt, 2010
- EIA for Multitube Film Reactor Dee/F Sulphonation Plant, Al Intaj Group – CPC, Egypt, 2010
- Technical Assistance to Certify Compliance with the Equator Principles for BioGeneric Pharma SAE, Egypt, 2010
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Standardization Approval for the bottle to bottle Post Consumer PET Recycling Plant – Raya Holding Company, Egypt, 2010
- Compliance Auditing of Logistics Facility (Caterpillar Logistics), CAT Logistics, ENVIRON, Egypt, 2010