Environmental and Social Safeguards Assessment: Egypt.
Results-Based Financing Program for Youth Employment and Informal Settlements Upgrading. 2017
Client: Informal Settlements Development Fund (ISDF), funded by the African Development Bank (AfDB)
Project Description: The Youth Development and Informal Settlements Upgrading Program seeks to support an integrated approach to slum elimination and informal settlement upgrading, thereby addressing the wider systemic issues of job creation, entrepreneurship, and access to basic services, amongst other factors. The program contributes directly to ensuring social inclusion, reducing inequalities, and promoting the quality of life of urban slum dwellers, an outcome consistent with the AfDB’s ‘High Fives’ of improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
Particular attention is being paid to youth unemployment, which is higher in slum areas than any other parts of Egyptian cities.
EcoConServ has been contracted to prepare a study to provide support for the assessment of the aggregate and cumulative environmental, health and safety, and social impacts of the proposed social activities and infrastructure upgrades to informal settlements and marketplaces in Cairo, Port Said, and Sharkeya. It intended to provide authorities, project developers, and IFIs with enough information on the site, potential impacts of the program and mitigation measures to be able to address any adverse risks and maximize on environmental and social opportunities.
As such, EcoConServ prepared a Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment (SESA) of potential impacts of the program, proposed mitigation measures and an Environmental and Social Management & Monitoring Plan (ESMMoP).
Medical Convoy – Awareness Campaign for Villages in Mansoura, Egypt. 2017
Clients: TOTAL E&P Egypt
Project Description: As part of their Corporate Social Responsibility activities, Total E7P Egypt cooperated with the NGO Misr El Kheir to provide a medical convoy to treat virus Hepatitis C. EcoConServ was contracted to conduct an awareness campaign as support in mobilizing community people through sharing intensive information about Hepatitis C.
Training on Environmental and Social Risk Management, Egypt. 2016
Client: QNB, ERM, EBRD
Project Description: The objective of the assignment is to provide advice, guidance and training to QNB ALAHLI on the EBRD’s environmental and social risk management procedures and guidelines for FIs. The training presented the supporting tools available to help manage the environmental and social issues associated with the FIs’ lending/ investment operations.
Moreover, an EHS Regulatory Register for QNB was developed, covering environmental, health, safety and social legislation (mainly labor relations) applicable to QNB activities in Egypt. It also includes references to EU Directives and Regulations, World Bank ES criteria and EBRD Performance Requirements.
Implementation of Poverty Targeting Mechanism for E-GAS & Development of a Project Implementation Manual, Egypt. 2016
Client: French Development Agency (AFD)
Project Description: The World Bank, the French Development Agency (AFD) and the European Union (EU) are jointly providing financing to support the implementation of this program. The project under consideration aims at connecting 2.4 million households to the gas distribution network over a four year implementation period. Town Gas and Egypt Gas are the local distribution companies responsible for the construction, operation and maintenance of the distribution networks under concession agreements. They are also in charge of the customer relationship management.
EcoConServ was contracted as a consultant to support EGAS in jumpstarting the implementation of the targeted support mechanism and in finalizing some organizational aspects.
Further Projects include:
- Land Acquisition Policy and Institutional Reform in Egypt. World Bank, 2015
- Evaluation of EU Blending Projects, European Commission, Egypt, 2015
- Health and Safety Audit for LSG Sky Chefs, ERM Germany, LSG Sky Chefs Catering Egypt SAE, 2015
- Country mission to Egypt for the Evaluation of the European Union’s Support to Environment and Climate Change, Pricip GmbH, Egypt, 2014
- Participatory Needs Assessment for Two Informal Areas in Cairo and Giza Governorates, Participatory Development Program in Urban Areas GIZ – EU, 2014
- Support to the Analyses of the Capabilities and Activities of Environmental Monitoring, Enforcement, and Inspection at the Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA), Oreade-Breche, France / The European Investment Bank (EIB), 2014
- Survey – The Urban Metabolism of Megacities for Greater Cairo, Enel Foundation, Egypt, 2013
- Demand Analysis & Strategic Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for the Industrial Pollution Abatement Program (IPAP), KfW, Egypt, 2013
- Preparation of the “National Strategy for Sustainable Development” (NSSD), UNDP Egypt, 2013
- Develop Monitoring System for Lighting Systems and Electric Home Appliances, Ministry of Electricity and Power / GEF/UNDP Improving Energy Efficiency of Lighting and Other Building Appliances Project, 2013
- Establishing the Environmental Monitoring Information System within the Palestinian Environmental Quality Authority (EQA), Program of Assistance to Palestinian People (PAPP) / United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), 2013
- Technical Consultancy Services towards pH Adjustor and pH Controllers for CocaCola / Aden Beverages, Yemen, 2013
- Tailored Training Programme for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) on Environmental and Social Management Policies and Guidelines, Egypt, 2013
- Final evaluation of the “Climate Change Risk Management Joint Program’’, UNDP, Egypt, 2013
- Capacity Building – Industry-specific Benchmarking and General Environmental Inspection Manuals with Inspector Training Program (General inspection, Textile industry, Fertilizer industry), EEAA Central Inspection Department; EPAP, Egypt, 2012
- Consultancy Services for the Production of Biodiesel Fuel from Algae in selected Mediterranean Countries – MED ALGAE, 2012
- Review of Legal Requirements (Environmental, Health & Safety Regulations) for Storage of Alcohol-Based Disinfection Products in Lebanon, ERM GmbH, 2012
- Consultancy Services for conducting Needs Assessment for Environmental and Social Management at ENSAP, Eastern Nile Technical Regional Office (ENTRO), Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan, 2011
- Development of a Management Plan for the Palestinian Environmental Quality Authority (EQA), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Program of Assistance to Palestinian People (PAPP), and Palestinian Environmental Quality Authority, 2011
- Environmental Legislation Summaries of environmental legislations potentially relevant to office activities and facilities for a telecommunication company in the Middle East Region (Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen) – NSN Legal Registers Phase I and the North Africa Region (Algeria, Benin, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Libya, Sudan) – NSN Legal registers Phase II, ENVIRON, 2011
- Consultancy Services for Preparation of ENSAP Environmental Management Guidance, Eastern Nile Technical Regional Office (ENTRO), Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan, 2011
- Preparation for the National Strategy for Sustainable Development, UNDP, Strengthen the Monitoring and Reporting system of MEAs (SMRES), CB2 project, 2011
- Study on Comparison between Egyptian and International Environmental Standards, ERM GmbH, 2011
- Haif – IBN-ZAHR illumination, SADAF, Saudi Arabia, 2010
- Consultancy Services for Environmental Planner Strategic Master Plan for Alexandria 2030, GRID, Egypt, 2010
- Environmental and Socio Economic Impact Assessment (ESIA) – General Organization for International Exhibitions and Fairs (GOIEF), Egypt Expo and Convention Authority (EECA), 2010
- Airborne Asbestos Identification Study, Ethylene Dichloride factory (EDC), Saudi Petrochemical Company (SADAF), Saudi Arabia, 2010
- Embassy of Denmark – B2B Sector Review on Energy and Environment, 2010-2013
- Strategic Social Environmental Assessments of Water losses, Sedimentation, Crop patterns, Wetlands on Abbay/Blue and Main Nile, Eastern Nile First Joint Multipurpose Program (JMP1), Eastern Nile Technical Regional Office (ENTRO), Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, 2010
- Assessment of Potential CDM Project Activities in Key Egyptian Sectors and Identification of Policy Gaps and Associated Techno-Commercial Issues in the Municipal Waste Sector, Cleaner Development Mechanism/ Awareness & Promotion Unit (CDM/APU); Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA). 2010
- Operationalizing the Regional Information Service for Disaster Risk Reduction of the Regional Centre for Disaster Risk Reduction Training and Research, The Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transportation, Egypt, 2010
- Terminal Evaluation for the Capacity Building in Environmental Impact Assessment and Promotion of Public Participation in West Asia, UNEP Regional Office for West Asia, Bahrain, 2010
- Verification Audit of National Consumption Targets of Multi-Year Agreements (MYAS) for CFCs in 2009 in Egypt, United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), Procurement Services Unit/OSS/PSM, 2010
- Consultancy to Conduct an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the Health and Population Project. Ministry of Public Health and Population, Yemen. 2010
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment, Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF), and Integrated Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (IESIA) for the Upper Egypt Integrated Governorates Development Project, Ministry of State for Local Development/JICA, Egypt, 2010